1908 LaSalle: Luxury Historic Restoration Lafayette Square
Like many Lafayette Square homes this home has quite a history. 1908 LaSalle was originally built as a single family dwelling but went through a period as a rooming house. Prior to the recent renovation, this home was sectioned off into four apartments. The lower level, with its private entrance, was a space unto itself. The main floor was its own apartment and the 2nd floor was divided into two efficiency units. The recent renovation chiseled away the alterations to reveal the original grandeur and convert this beauty back into the stunning single family it once was.
The 9 month renovation process left no stone unturned. All interior systems are new. The plumbing has been replaced from the street to alley and every where in between. The roof was torn off and replaced and now includes an R-33 insulation package. All knob and tube wiring has been removed and replaced with new electric (no small feat given the electricians had to preserve the original plaster ceiling medallions). A brand new 3 zone HVAC system has been installed including all new duct work.
Historic Details Intact
Having withstood so many iterations and alterations, it is astounding how much of the original materials were still salvageable. There are four original mantles in the home. The kitchen has been specifically designed around the historic hearth.
Wood molding and window trim has all been saved or re-milled to match. Ceiling medallions, historic tile work, a pier mirror, door hardware and hinges, and windows have all been refurbished. The statement, “They just don’t make them like they used to,” has never rung more true. Compare this home to others on the street that are either newly constructed or have lost all of their historic accents and it will be obvious that this home is one of kind.
- Exterior of home retains all of its 1885 character with mansard roof and double entry 12 foot doors this home is the epitome of Second Empire architecture which Lafayette Square is famous for.
- Interior historic features like original fireplaces, pocket doors, ceiling medallions, door hardware, and woodwork have been carefully restored.
- Paint colors, fixtures, and finishes were selected with an eye towards clean and classic design.
- Brand new 2-car garage with cement board siding.
- The 2-room suite in the lower level has separate entry and can function as an efficiency apartment, in-law quarters or AirBnB. Full height windows bring in lots of natural light to the large studio apartment with kitchen and full bath.
- Alternatively, the lower level makes a great secondary entertaining space with full summer kitchen. Ideal for your next super bowl party.
- Lovely side porch and private back patio spaces provide low maintenance and private entertaining options.
- Chef’s kitchen with custom cabinetry, Quartz counter tops that waterfall over the peninsula and upgraded stainless appliance package was designed to accent the original fireplace and historic windows.
- Butlers’ Pantry was converted to posh wet bar with wine fridge and additional wine storage.
- Master suite includes WALK -IN Glass shower with Onyz base, separate sun drenched soaking tub and dual vanity.
This home offers a maintenance free lifestyle and is designed for entertaining with the added benefit of a completely finished lower lever space that is wildly versatile. This home blends unreplicable historic integrity with the peace of mind of modern construction. A true value at any price, but an absolute steal at $595,000. Check out comparables in the area, and 1908 LaSalle is sure to impress.
We hope you make it to the Open House on Sunday, but if you have questions or want to schedule a private tour of this truly special home, contact us today!